7.25.2010

#21 and #24

#21. Compete in a Miss America Preliminary.

On Saturday, July 24th, I competed in the Miss Greater Cleveland/Cuyahoga County Pageant. As many of you know, I have spent the past year building my interview skills, public speaking skills, working on my dance, working out, and studying various facts about Ohio, the senators, the representatives, the governor, the mayors, and current events. I carry a ziploc bag that holds about 500 index cards that have various interview questions on them front and back. As I walked into my interview with the judges, I saw all the things I worked so hard to improve walk right past me and out the door they went. I became what I worked so hard not to be- a hot mess.

After my interview that was filled with questions such as "what's the state bird?", "how do you feel about the oil spill?" and what is your favorite vintage item that you have collected?" it was time to practice my talent. I went up onto the stage, my music started playing, and then...my mind went blank. Technique, gone. Routine, gone. Smile, gone. The dance that I have been working on for the past year, gone. Finally, after a mini-freakout in the bathroom and going through the dance 4 times, I remembered it.

Finally, we had dinner, and then on with the show! Introductions, swimsuit, talent (I did pretty darn good, minus the fact that My toe got stuck on some metal thing on the stage floor during my turns, ugh!), evening gown, and onstage question (which came out as "umm...blah blah blahh, ummm...repeat")

So overall, I thought I could have done 100% better, had I not been a nervous reck since the moment I woke up that morning. Will I continue competing in MAO Locals? Heck yes.

Now on with the photos.

Contestants with Sylvia and Harvey Jenson, and Miss Ohio 2010, Becky Minger

Miss Ohio Becky Minger (When Becky came back to the dressing rooms to say "Hi" to the other contestants, I was starstruck, no joke. Hahaha)

#24. Get my braces removed.

Not many people know this about me, but when I was a youngun' back in elementry school, I was bullied almost everyday because of the way my teeth were. Even now that my teeth are more straight than what they used to be, you can definitely tell I was not genetically gifted with a "beautiful smile".

After nineteen very long years, I can now smile confidently without a worry that people are judging my smile.

Before, during, and after braces photos.



(This is also for #39. Go Clubbing, which is one of the most interesting things I think I have done, haha. I'm just too prude for clubs, I think.)

That's all for now, folks!

With Love,
Ashliegh

No comments:

Post a Comment