6.09.2011

Book Review: Water For Elephants


I recently finished Sara Gruen's "Water For Elephants," and really enjoyed it. So here is my first book review! Enjoy, lol.

"Water For Elephants" is a love story filled with history, drama, and comedy. The main character, Jacob, is a 90-something year old man who reflects back on his younger years when he worked for a circus during the Depression Era. The book goes back and forth between his current time in a nursing home and his past. 

While working for the circus at a veterinarian, Jacob meets Marlena, the horse trainer, Walter, a midget, and Rosie, the beautiful and abused elephant. 

Gruen definitely did her research before writing "Water For Elephants." Some parts of the story are inspired by true life events that she discovered during her research and the book includes beautiful photos from Depression Era circuses at the beginning of each chapter.

As a heads up to the animal lovers out there, this novel deals with circus animal abuse There are many scene that are quite gruesome and graphic. During the Depression Era, there were no regulations to protect animals.

All in all, this was a fabulous read and Gruen draws you in with her attention to detail and action.

I can't wait to go see the movie now!

With Love,
Ashliegh

1 comment:

  1. I wouldn't have read this on my own. It was a gift and what a gift it turned out to be! I loved it! One of my all time favs! I felt a kinship for the main character right a way . Everyone should read this book! you won't regret it.

    ReplyDelete